Advanced Placement by Certification or Work Experience
- Based on documented and verified prior experience, certain students may receive advanced placement and therefore exemption from certain courses in the Program.
- Students who are RN’s with ER experience typically receive advanced placement for EMS 351 (Paramedic Hospital Clinical Experience).
- Students who have extensive work experience for an ALS Transporting Service with which they will conduct the majority of their Field Internship may receive advanced placement for EMS 450 (Paramedic Field Experience).
Advanced Placement by Assessment (“Testing Out”)
- Some students may be eligible for advanced placement through assessment by “testing out” of certain courses.A fee of $25 per assessment will be required and there is only one attempt permitted. The assessment is the final exam for that course in whatever format it is delivered.
- Students who are RN’s with ER experience are eligible to attempt to test out of PALS and ACLS (EMS 370 and EMS 380).These students must meet the American Heart Association requirements for a renewal of those certifications.
- Students who are RN’s with ER experience are eligible to attempt to test out of EMS 151 (Pharmacology in Field Medicine I), EMS 251 (Pharmacology in Field Medicine II), EMS 154 (EMS Electrocardiography I) and EMS 361 (Clinical Medicine Cases I).
- Students who have completed the majority of a paramedic course with other programs may be considered for advanced placement for EMS 370 and EMS 380 (PALS and ACLS ), EMS 151 and EMS 251 (Pharmacology in Field Medicine I and II), EMS 154 (EMS Electrocardiography I) and EMS 351 (Paramedic Hospital Clinical Experience).
- Other situations will be addressed on an individual basis.Students who desire to be considered for this option must apply in writing to the Program Director. The Medical Director, Faculty Team and Program Director will consider the application and determine if advanced placement is appropriate in that case.